Wednesday, December 10, 2008

OurTrip to Virginia

Well, after talking to Natalie, I've resolved to keep this up and running! I always have stuff to post and things to say but when I sit to write something, all I want to do is post pictures and I never feel I have time to write a decent post! BUT I assure you that I will not entirely abandon my blog!

We had a remarkably smooth trip from Utah to Virginia. But before we left, we had a little going away party. One of our friends, Fina, made the best Mexican soup I've ever had. I love any kind of Mexican food!! Many of our friends from Wymount came and we sort of celebrated little Brian's 4th birthday with a little birthday cake. I thought I'd just make it low key since we were too overwhelmed with moving to do a full party but even making a cake I found out was quite the excursion!

This next picture is so sentimental! A few weeks ago, little Brian and I were watching Jungle Book and he leaned over and quietly said, "I didn't want to move" and then he started to cry. At first, I thought he was adjusting remarkably well, and for the most part he is. But I think now he has realized the full impact of the move and the fact that we aren't going back. He is looking over my shoulder right now at this picture.

Happy Birthday Brian!

I also want to thank all of you who helped us move. I can't tell you how grateful I am for everyone who made us meals, helped us clean, and was so loving towards us, even thinking of things like making treat bags for the boys. We really felt so loved and we appreciate all of you. we will miss you guys so much!! Even though we are enjoying our family here, we still miss our friends.

Here we are taking off. Since we already needed a new vehicle and we knew we were moving, we purposely looked for a van with a DVD player. We got a great deal, and it was a great break to be able to pop in a movie during the trip. It was really a blessing and made the trip smooth!


Warning: Our trip was a blessing because it was so smooth but unfortunately retelling it may make for a really boring story! So read on only if you are really interested. :)

For the first leg, we drove straight through Wyoming and half way through Nebraska and stopped in York Nebraska to sleep. We arrived in York in the middle of the night so there were no regular rooms at the hotel but the woman working at the front desk gave us a large suite at the regular rate. Sweet! It was so much fun because of the space we had. The boys jumped on the bed and we let them! We all crashed and it was delightful! In the morning, we went swimming in the indoor pool. I wish we had taken pictures! It was a welcomed respite after being in the car for so many hours.

Although I didn't get pictures of the hotel, I did get pictures of Nebraska. It is my favorite part of the trip because I started seeing things that reminded me of Virginia.
Thick forests, especially when it starts to surround everything, feels so much like home. I have so many memories of playing in the forest growing up in Virginia.
and the farms in Nebraska...

...remind me of the farms in Virginia. Here is Gettysburg.

(I'm sure I will blog about our trip there on another post but here it is so you can see. This picture looks much better enlarged.)

The last half of the trip was as smooth as the first half. We drove straight through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia. By the time we hit West Virginia, we were so ready to be done. But Brian was still determined and somehow awake enough, so he kept going and we drove straight through to Virginia. We were so glad to be home!

Probably the most entertaining part of our trip was hearing different accents at different restaurants and gas stations. The accents changed through out the states but the most memorable one was in Kentucky. We overheard a lady ordering from a McDonalds drive through as we were walking in for breakfast. It sounded sort of like this, "Naw, I won't a lrge coke, an lota aice." We weren't expecting such a thick accent from such a cute little lady. It really caught us off guard and so it was really funny! At that point we knew that we were not in Utah anymore!

We had a remarkably smooth trip from Utah to Virginia. Here are my favorite 2 pictures from our 32 hours across the country.




I bet you can imagine why!

Even though we love being home, we miss all of you at Wymount. Don't ever forget us and please please keep us updated on your lives!

6 comments:

Monica McCoy said...

YAY! I have been waiting for an update! I am glad you guys are doing well.

Katie said...

I am so glad you decided to keep on posting things here. I have been checking periodically. I don't know if you knew I have a blog, but if you are ever wondering what is up with our two person family, katieshappylife.blogspot.com should tell you.

Jenna said...

Thanks Katie, for sending me your blog address! I barely check this but every few weeks, unfortunately! Hopefully I will get better. Thanks for checking up on us. I really wish I had you here to run with.:)

Ruthie said...

can't wait to read more about your busy interesting life. keep it up!

Jenna said...

Ha! I don't know about interesting but it is definitely busy! Thanks so much Ruth for being so encouraging!

Los Morales said...

Hey Jenna!! so good to hear from ya, how are you doing?, when are you due?... Say hi to the kids and to Brian!!.